Fashion Fever by Lauren Ricciardelli
With the Oscars airing last evening, everyone is talking about the Best and Worst Dressed. And with those critiques, we of course see emerging trends for dresses for wedding season. Here are our favorite picks from last night (in no particular order) and the trends for those upcoming weddings.
1. Sandra Bullock (& Amy Adams) – First, these are two of my personal favorite actresses. I’d totally love to be friends with them. Second, you can’t get much more classic than a navy, fit and flare dress. While I did like Sandra’s Alexander McQueen pick (the neckline, the draping!) over Amy’s Gucci, both are timeless, sophisticated with just the right touch of sexy. Trend: Navy is the new black
2. Lupita Nyong’O – Everyone is talking about the Best Supporting Actress winner and her impeccable Prada gown. Seriously, can I take it home NOW? The color is fresh and sweet without being overpowering (so it’s great for both maids and wedding guests since it won’t upstage the bride). Trend: Plunge neckline, fresh pastels
3. Kate Hudson – O.M.G. I think she looked absolutely impeccable in her Atelier Versace gown. The dress dripped Old Hollywood glamour with it’s plunging neckline, elegant draped cape and intricate beading detail. And the train! This is another dress I want to take home immediately; it’s sheer perfection. (Where am I getting this cash?) Kate had two wins as she swapped her Versace for a Zuhair Murad dress for the after party and continued to wow. Trend: Plunge Neckline, Low Back, Old Hollywood glam
4. Charlize Theron – I read somewhere that this dress was compared to the portrait of Madame X by John Singer Sargent. I immediately thought, “YES”! Ms. Theron’s dress of course had an updated look with illusion straps, and a fun sheer skirt; this dress absolutely sizzled. Not to mention she had the perfect necklace to accentuate the plunge neckline. Far from your average black dress! Trend: Plunge Neckline, Illusion/Sheer Details (skirt and straps)
5. Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, Ryan Seacrest: Have to give a nod to the gentlemen as well and these three brought it with their white hot tuxes. (Also if you know me personally, you’ll know I’ve had ginormous crush on McConaughey for years) Seeing these dapper men made me want to rewind to my wedding and put Eric in a white jacket. There’s something so sexy and a little bit James Bond about the white jacket. Keep it sharp with black tux pants and vest or waistcoat. (Aside: I just really need Jared to cut his hair)